Friday, September 30, 2011

Writing Prompt Phobia.

Create a character that has an unusual phobia. Write a scene that causes that character to face his fear.

Dear Diary,

As you know from my past entries, I am very scared of mirrors.
Even the word sounds ominous.
I only have one mirror a tiny compact that I quickly glance at in the morning.
Sometimes it’s just too much I will not look and just hope I look ok.

I am lucky to live in a city with great bus transportation.
It started when I was young.I saw strange shadows in the corner of my eye while looking in the mirror.

Kids at my school found out and chased me around with compact mirrors since that day it only got worse.
I haven’t had many boyfriends the few I have had never understood me.

I have a boyfriend now but he doesn’t know my secret. I have been making accuses not to go on dates, afraid it won’t go well.
But tonight I must go wish me luck.
-Sue

“Are you ready? “Chris calls out.

“Yes. “ I say as I take a deep breath and walk out the door.

“I can do this. “ I whisper as I sit in his car.

I know he is worried since I can’t help but look at the floor so I don’t have to see the mirrors.

I grab his hand and he smiles. “I think you will like the restaurant. “

I make a silent wish this place isn’t full of mirrors even I deserve happiness right?

“We’re here.” He proudly announces.

I hold my breath as we walk up to the restaurant.

“Isn’t this great? “ He says pointing to the sign .

“House of Mirrors.”

I wanted to cry. Are you kidding me? Out of all the places we could have went he choose this.

“Hope you like it heard it’s hard to get a reservation. “ “I got lucky . “

“Unlucky “ I mutter under my breath .

He pulls me behind him not noticing the panic in my eyes.
All on the wall around us mirrors …mirrors. Everywhere. My reflection seems to mocking me or staring at me .

I should just run. I could just tell him then he will break up with me but I can leave this place.

“Are you ok? “ “The waitress wants your order.”

“I’m ok sorry could you just order for me?”

“Sure dear .” He says.

While we wait he talks about his work I try only to look at him.
Focusing on him helps me some I do my best to smile and nod.
But any time I look up it feels like the mirrors grow closer.

Shadows dance in the corners enjoying my pain .
By the time the food comes I am on edge I not even hungry anymore.
I take small bites and assure him its good.

The shadows grow larger they reach out for me .
I jump up “ I’m sorry .. I can’t do this . “

I run out of the restaurant and vomit.
“Sue are you ok ? “ “Are you sick ? “

I have taken all I can take I fall on my knees and cry . “Chris I am scared of mirrors. “
“They terrify me I tried my best but I just can’t take it anymore. “

I was waiting for him to laugh like the others. I was waiting for him to leave me.
Instead he pulls me into embrace gently stroking my back. “Silly you should have told me. “

“That must have been hard thank you. “

“You’re not going to leave me ? “ I ask .

“No .”

“Unless you are scared of penguins now that would be weird. “ He jokes .

“Why penguins? “

He blushes “I’m a little obsessed with them. “ “They are just so adorable. “

“Chris . “

“Yes.”

“Never take me to the zoo . “

He pauses.

“I’m serious. “ I say .

He laughs. “Deal. “

No comments:

Post a Comment