Thursday, September 1, 2011

GPS

Going to try do writing prompts once a week with my friend .
This week we did this one .

You had planned to attend a friend’s birthday party and plugged her address into your GPS system, but the system guided you to somewhere else. Oddly enough, there was a man waiting for you at this mysterious place. “Sorry I had to rig your GPS, but this is urgent,” said the person.

__________________________________________________

“Sorry I had to rig your GPS, but this is urgent.” The man says.

“Who are you ? “ I ask not daring to roll down my window.

“A friend. “ He Says.

“I don’t have time for this today is my friend’s birthday party.”
“I can’t be late it’s very important.”

I look the man over he is a tall slender man wearing a nice suit . Kind brown eyes hide behind his glasses. Something about him feel’s familiar.

He sighs and looks down at me sadly . “ Fine you can leave if you can answer this question correctly .”

“That sounds fair.” I say .
“ Sarah what year is it ? “

I laugh . “2008 of course. “

The man smirks. “Sarah its 2011 now come out .”

I reluctantly get out of my car as my mind tries to process what he is saying.

He takes my hand gently into his. “You have been living a lie year after year. “ “And I can’t stand to watch anymore. “

The world around me seems to fall away as my memory comes back to me .
________________________________

“How could you? Sarah I trusted you. “Ashley screams.

“It not what you think, I just met him today. “ I say desperately trying to explain .

“Then why were you in his arms? “

“I told you I fainted and he just happened to catch me .”

“Lies , lies ,lies . “ “I thought you were my best friend. “ Ashley says as she sticks her finger into my chest.

“ I hate you ! “ She screams.

“Please let us talk this out . I would never hurt you . “ I beg her .

“I’m done talking some birthday this is turning out to be . “ Also don’t you dare come tonight. “She says and walks away leaving me in tears.

I have to make this right I tell myself as I hurry to wrap her present. I write a short note on the name card and then jump into my car.

The weather is as dark as my mood but even though it’s raining heavily I’m determined to hurry to Ashley. I reach for my phone to call her but as I do I hit a slick spot.

I try my best to regain control but all I can do is watch as I speed into another car ,the man looks up at me panic in his eyes .

And then nothingness.
_____________________________

Tears fall from my eyes “No no no this can’t be true . “ “I’m dead? “

“I’m sorry Sarah but you are dead. “ He says gently pulling me into a embrace.

“Who are you ?” I ask . But as I look into his eyes I see the answer.

“I killed you. “

“It was a accident. “

I try to pull away from him but he just holds me tighter.

“It’s going to be ok.” He assures me and kisses my forehead.

“She must hate me .” I whisper.

“ You need to let her go so you can move on .” “I don’t want to watch you relive that day ever again.”

“How can I ? “ I ask as I stare at the ground.

“Follow me . “ He commands.

After a long walk we arrive at a unfamiliar house we easily go in no one notices us.

It’s a party a grand party and then I see her .

“Ashley.”

“Look Ashley there is one gift left .” Her friend says handing her a sloppy wrapped gift.

As she reads the note her face becomes pale .

“What does it say ?” Her friend asks.

“I’m sorry, I love you and will always love you . Your friend always, Sarah.”

Inside the package is a picture of us in a golden frame. Ashley hugs it tightly to her chest.

“No friend it’s me who is sorry.”

I smile and take his hand “Thank you . “

“Are you ready?”

“On one condition.”


“And what is that? “

“Tell me your name. “

He laughs “Anthony.”

No comments:

Post a Comment