Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Forest.

The Forest.

They always said to never enter the forest .But never did they give a clear reason why.

Oh there are rumors and whispers of evil lurking.
Beyond the trees little Timmy are witches so you best eat your breakfast. Susie stay close to home or the dragons will eat you.
Nothing more than stories to get the children to mind.

Ask directly and the people will close their mouths and talk about you in secret.
In fact it’s a unwritten law not to go to the forest.

But as long as I can remember I have been drawn to the forest.
At a young age of five I would sneak to the edge of the forest and just sit.
Even though I knew if I was caught I’d get in trouble I just couldn’t stay away.

How could something so beautiful be bad?
As I grew older the more I felt strange, like I wasn’t like the rest. And I think the other kids felt it as well.
No matter how friendly I was they did their best to avoid me.
With my mother and father busy with their work life became lonely.

At thirteen when my peers were getting interested in boys the more secluded I became.
I would spend hours at the edge talking to the calming breeze that flew through the trees.
To me the forest became my best friend.

It never shunned me because I was different.
It listened to all my joy and sorrows.
One day after crying my eyes out to the trees I heard my name.

“Lucy..” The wind gently howls.

My gut told me to run away.
But my heart was delighted!
Oh how lonely I have been and now it calls my name.

I walk away to make sure I wasn’t going crazy ,leaves dance around my feet and the voice howls louder “Lucy.”

I smile my dear forest is calling for me. I don’t stop to question I just run ahead into the lush forest.
Though unkempt as it is not a single branch scratches me as if it opening a path.

I walk on for hours forgetting the time as I get lost in the forest.
Whispers surround me “Lucy..” “Lucy..” . I look around but I am alone.

I become sleepy as the sky darkens I rest my head against a tree as my eyes close someone whispers in my ear“Children never go in the forest for it shows your true nature. “

As I slept I dreamed of another me.
I look up in the sky planes roar overhead.
Adults are screaming and running.
I sit on the ground rocking back and forth with my teddy bear. “Teddy it’s too loud. “ “Teddy I’m scared. “ My little hands cup my ears.

“Lucy ! “ My mother screams running towards me .
She holds me in her arms but it’s too late.
The sky turns bright as the bombs fall down.
My body twitches as I look around the town is merely dust.

I close my eyes.

I wake with a scream.
“Everything is a lie .” “I am ..we all are gone.”
I get up and look back searching for a exit. “I must go back home.”

A gust of wind surrounds me as it settles a glowing light approaches me .
“Lucy you can never go back.” “You will ruin it for everyone.”

“They should know it’s a lie, all a lie! “

“But they are happy so leave them be. “

“Fine I won’t tell them then can I go back home? “

The light moves slowly back and forth as if shaking its head “They will know by just looking at you. “

“ I’m lonely .” I say but the light just disappears.

Rocks line at my feet and the tree branches reach out for me .

“ Lucy we are here . “ “Lucy play with us ! “

I smile.

"They say never enter the forest. Don’t bother asking them why."

"Beware of the forest for it holds your true self."

No comments:

Post a Comment