Sunday, October 9, 2011

Match Writing Prompt

You come across a pack of matches that sets off a series of uncanny events. Start your story with “My mother always told me not to play with fire.” End it with “And that’s how I ended up in the middle of nowhere—naked.”

“My mother always told me not to play with fire.” I should have listened.

It all started with a pack of matches.
I watch with amusement how quickly the flame spreads taking with it my fears and pain. As I light another match I think back to my day.

It was just another cool morning as I entered the school. But as I walk to my locker I can tell something isn’t right. I am not popular in fact I am almost invisible but today the kids point and whisper.

Some jocks look my way and laugh. “Alice “they call out to me.
I pick up speed as my breath becomes shallow.
The hall seems to get smaller with each step I take.
Just what in the world is going on?

I notice some posters from the corner of my eye my gut tells me not to look but I can’t resist. My hand shakes as I rip it down my head crudely pasted on a naked woman’s figure. But what is written about me below is even worse.

What have I done to deserve such treatment?
I keep to myself in fact I haven’t even kissed a boy.

But that’s the trouble with rumors they take on a life of their own.

I suppress a scream as I approach my locker. Written in red : Bitch.” “Whore. “ “Loser. “ “Slut.”

I open the door inside it is crammed with notes.
“Die. “ One says. “Kill yourself.“Another says.

Along with some others from boys asking to “play” with me.
The room spins as I vomit on the floor.
No one comes to comfort me they look away and once again for a moment I am invisible.

I run into a bathroom stall and lock the door. Inside I silently sob trying to make sense of everything.
On the floor is a pack of matches probably left from an upperclassman.
I roll it in my hands letting my mind slip away.

The door slams as two girls enter the bathroom.

“You went too far Jane!! “ The girl yells.

“Alice has never even once looked your way.”

Jane laughs “Who cares? “

“I’m going to tell. “ The girl announces.

I watch from the slit in my stall as Jane pushes the other girl against the wall.
“Do it then. “ “I will just have tell everyone just what a bad girl you are. “

“Please don’t. “ The girl cries. “Then get out of my sight.” Jane says releasing her.

The rest of the day is a blur. Somehow I had made it home and ran to my room.
Once my parents are asleep I slip on sweat pants and hoodie and take a drive.
As I pass the park I see her and my blood starts to boil.

Life was so simple before her.
All I had to worry about was getting to school on time. I was invisible and I loved it.

No stupid click to report to. No whiny friends.
Just myself keeping my head low till I can leave this stupid town.

But she went and turned my world upside down. For what reason? Probably for her own sick amusement.

I slam on the brakes and walk up to her. I waste no time and slap her face.

She steps back stunned for only a moment.
“What was that for?” She asks anger filling her eyes.

“You know all too well! “ I yell.

She turns her to the side and smirks “It speaks. “

“I’m not “it” I’m Alice! “

“Tomorrow you’re going to tell everyone you started this rumor so I can have some peace. “

She laughs “You’re upset just over today.” “You amuse me so much. “

“Give me my life back! “ I growl as I push her to the ground.

“Never, in fact I am just getting started. “

I fall to my knees my hands shaking. This will never end I can feel it.
She will make every day a living hell.
It will taint everything.

She smirks as she leans in whispering in my ear “Slut. “

I watch as my dainty hands grab her neck. I am no longer in control as continue to choke her.

Oh how she tries to fight back but it’s pointless her face turns blue as she tries to whisper for me to stop.
Finally she is quiet as I release my hands I come back to my senses.

“Jane..” “Jane..”
She doesn’t answer. I shake her but nothing.
She is dead.

The fire starts to die down and brings me back to reality.
I throw another match on her body.
I hover near the fire but I get to close my hoodie starts to burn.

I rip it off and throw it in the fire.
The fire glows brilliantly it has a calming effect on me.
I toss the rest of my clothes in the fire as it grows I let my mind slip away.

“And that’s how I ended up in the middle of nowhere—naked.”

4 comments:

  1. Sadly, I identify all too well with Alice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous - Thank you for replying . There is a little bit of Alice in me . But thankfully I have not have to go through this .
    Hope is all well with you now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that was fiction; sadly it could be true because that's how kids are in school today.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes this fiction all of these are fiction .
      Yeah I tried to capture those emotions .

      Delete